Daughters are Great

Sunday, August 21, 2011

A Week of Doctors


This week seems to been some kind of a peak and I think it's because of the doctor visits.

First I talked to Dr. Lowe who is a surgeon that was recommended by Dr. Anderson.  I brought Karen with me, which when I do, seems to result in the doctors getting a better idea about what is going on with my health.  The doctor obviously wanted to check out the hernia.  He pokes his finger up around the hernia and then he touches it and says "Does that hurt?"  Why do they do that?  I'm sure they must know that it hurts, perhaps they just want to see how much it hurts.

During the check up the doctor finds out that I've been constipated, and suggests that I should have a colonoscopy.  Then he found out that our family participated in the colon cancer study, and he felt even more that I should have the appointment, before the hernia surgery.  Dr. Lowe got me an appointment with colonoscopy doctor and I got the appointment on Friday.

Into the colonoscopy doctor I go.  I told him about the rectal cancer study, and it seemed like he knew about the study, but didn't sound like it led to much.  He found about the hCG diet and didn't seem very impressed about it, but he didn't know anything about the diet, but he felt that he could advise me against doing the diet.  I guess that OK on a certain level.  Most diets are probably not too good for you, but that doesn't mean that every diet is bad for you.  I guess my default position would be that I would probably advise against most fad diets.  In fact the first time I heard of the hCG diet it sounded crazy to me too.  Take a hormone that's found in pregnant women's pee?  Your kidding right!

The long and short of it is that I found out that I definitely do have a hernia, and now have a date for getting it fixed.  I also have a date for the colonoscopy.  Knowing definitely about the hernia is a relief.  However, the doctor said that the hernia is probably not what is making me feel so run down, and that was part of the reason that he wanted me to have the colonoscopy.

This week Karen sister Shawn and Barry came to visit.  I'd told Barry that I didn't think that I'd be up to playing golf so we didn't do that.  Instead Barry spent most of his vacation being a plumber by helping install a dishwasher, a disposal, a bathtub, and finishing up the tiling of a shower.  I felt kind of bad, but I hadn't know that they needed the help, and with my visiting and helping my Mother I don't have very much time.  There that's my excuse and I'm standing by it.

Finally at the end of the second week I lost about 1.3 pounds, which really sucks except that according to the data I lost around 4 pounds of fat and put on around 2 pounds of muscle.  Now I don't know how much I trust that.  It would seem to be impossible to be putting muscle on but that is what I would like to see, a loss of fat and going up in LBM.  Karen noticed that my stomach just hangs wierdly because it must be mostly skin right now.  She called it a dewlap, and that's pretty much what it looked like.  It was pretty silly looking.  This is going to be the last week, and I'm glad.  I won't have to go back on the diet again.  I'm going to keep the weight off, and hopefully lose some more weight.  Hopefully the Primal Diet will do the trick.  Perhaps I should actually read about what the Primal Diet is since I say that I'm following it now.  That at least sounds a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment