I've been tracking my weight lass losing the scale that Chantel got me for Christmas. It's a nice scale and it measures weight and body fat percentage (BF), and water percentage as well. I've heard that these scales are not especially accurate in the BF measuring area, but they are easy. Well I've noticed that the BF and H2O% are closely connected. The higher the H2O% the lower the BF. I don't know why this is but every time I have a good BF reading it means that the H2O% will be high as well. The BF is going down consistently but it jumps around quite a bit.
When I used to follow the Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle book the author of that book said that the best way to determine fat content, besides an underwater weighing, which is obviously a very difficult thing to do, is to do a skin fold test. Certainly a skin fold test would not be a subject to jumping around as much as the scale.
So last night I found the old spread sheet that I was using to track my BF last year. (It was pretty easy because it was on Google docs. I really like Google docs.) The skin fold test had gone from 15mm to 9mm which is pretty good I think. Actually I had a bout 2 months worth of measurement and they'd actually gone from 20mm to 15mm. Also, the measurement around my gut had gone from 45" to 42". I would have like to see that measure be better but what the heck.
Here's my quandary. According to the scale I'm at 26% BF, and the skin caliper it is 15.32%. That's quite a big difference. I don't have any idea how to decide which one is right. It's a difference of about 25 lbs. I guess I'll just go through the next phase of the diet and then think about a way that I might be able to figure out a little better which one is the right one, although I think that I lean towards the caliper test, I'm still going to have to think about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment