Following up on my last posting about how closely the science and technology seem to follow spiritual outpourings, at least from the LDS viewpoint.
I think it will happen at the second coming. I've been having these types of thoughts for a number of years. It all started on my mission with one of my companions Elder Grether. We were talking about what the millennium was going to be like, and he said that he thought that the first thing we would learn was how to learn. I've always thought that was an interesting idea.
A few years ago I read a science fiction novel that talked about a future society where the driver was energy and the people served the society where they were the most expert. It was a good book and got me thinking about how modern society is energy driven. I think that during the millennium science will finally figure out the fusion problem.
One of the things that is always talked about when talking about the millennium is what kind of professions will be needed or not needed. Usually things like policemen, lawyers, things that since it doesn't seem like there will be crime. Hugh Nibley shared an idea one time about how things in this society that are valuable such as honesty, truthfulness etc. will be worthless in the millennium because they will be so common. That sounds right.
Anyway I think that there are a few things that will be going on during the millennium. First it will seem very normal like a progression from what is going on today. Second we'll work on the principle of consecration and scientists will be able to work out ideas on how good they are, not how valuable they are. Men like Tesla will be able to develop their ideas even if powerful industrialists don't think they are good investments. So that's what I think, the millennium will be like a science fiction novel.
i think so too daddy :-) Sometimes when I am sitting in my uper level physics classes, I feel the spirit really strong. Or in my reactor design classes. *muah!* I am excited to see how it all turns out :-)
ReplyDelete