Daughters are Great

Monday, February 21, 2011

Photos and Stuff and a Diabetes Update

On Friday I spent a lot of the day working on my iPhoto libraries.  iPhoto is cool, but the library can get huge.  In order to fight that I've found that I could use a program called iPhoto Library Manager that will let you launch different instances of iPhoto.  What I've started doing is keeping an iPhoto Library on an external TerraByte drive and a library on my laptop.  The library on the external drive has 16000 items and is 50 GB.  The one on my laptop has 1600 and is 5.6 GB.  See how that is a little better and easier to work with?  Well Friday I spent some time trying make sure that Karen, my and the Big Dog (that's the external drive) were all in sync somewhat.  AFter that I started working on trying to fix my blog the way that I would like it.  The faces really helped set up the slideshows that I used on my blog, and the photo of Karen.

The next day I was feeling virteous and decided that I would scan in the pictures that Karen had left for me on my desk.  It was a very big time consuming job.  It turns out that these were photos that Karen had gotten after her mother passed away, and they were some very cool pictures that I'd either never seen, don't remember seeing, or hadn't seen in a long time.  I finally just conked out working on the pictures Saturday night, and thought that I'd be able to finish up on Sunday.  I thought that I'd gotten all of the photos out of the envelope but I moved it on Sunday and realized that there were a lot more pictures in the envelope so there was still a long way to go.  I was to disappointed to finish, so I did a few other things, like balance our checkbook.

So today I finally finished scanning in all of the photos.  Turns out there were 265 pictures scanned in when I was done.  I thought that some of the family might like to see, or copy these photos so I put them up on the web.  I think that our daughter might especially like the photos of their Mom when she was in High School.  I assume that she was in high school, it look like that about her age.  There's also a few pictures of her on her mission.  So for whoever is interested here are the different slide shows that will link back to the albums.

I'll start with pictures of Grandma Norma and her family. Some of these you'll have to check with Mom to see who they are. This also includes a painting of the picture of Phillip, Mom's brother that passed away.


Next are photos of Karen from when she was a curly headed little girl, similar to Teda when she was young, to the beautiful lady she became.


Next are family pictures of our family as we got older, and in my case bigger. These also include pictures of Mom and I by ourselves or with family members.


Some of my favorite pictures are pictures that I call daughter pictures. They pictures of our daughters in different combinations.



The girls as the grow up starting with Kiki and working down to Gooey (Chantel).













Diabetes Good News
I have some good news on the diabetes front. I was excited when I was able to keep my BG under 120 for a whole day. Well on Saturday I was able to keep in under 100 for a whole day. This included the dawn effect. I exercised then ate breakfast and measured my BG two hours later and it was still under 100 BG. It stayed that way for all 4 readings. I was so excited that I didn't risk testing it at bedtime. I felt a little guilty about that but I didn't measure it anyway. I started feeling guilty and thought about getting up and measuring it but by that time I was just too tired and let it ride. Sunday the BG was still under 100, but I knew that since I wasn't going to be exercising. That was right it rose to 115 BG then started to fall by the time I went to Church around 1:00. When I got home it was again under 100, however I forgot to take my merformin. I don't know why it just slipped my mine. I slipped my mind until I measure by BG before bed and it was 127. I was a little depressed because I didn't think that I'd taken anything that would cause that spike. However that was when I realized that I had forgot to take the metformin. I guess that metformin stuff does work. Today it wasn't belier 100 when I got up, but it's been hovering around that all or a little below.

Tonight Mom and I tried one of the recipes from "The Diabetes Diet." It was parmesan crusted pork chops. Actually the recipe called for lamb chops, but we substituted pork chops. It was good but let me just say that next time we hope that the cooking will go a little smother. While we were shopping I read a suggestion on a package of feta cheese that suggested trying to put some feta cheese in mashed potatoes. I thought that sounded great and throughout that it would be good in mashed cauliflower. That's the substitution that is suggested in the diabetes book for potatoes and it's pretty good. So we tried that as well. Over all it was a pretty good dinner. I'll test my BG and let everyone know what it is right before I sign off tonight.

Well the final reading for the day is 116.  That means for the day it was 103, 103, 98 then 116.  That's not that bad but I've started getting used to the lower readings so it's a little disappointing.  It might be that I simply ate to big of a meal.  There is something called the "Chinese Dinner Effect".  I don't have the book with me (I lent it to someone) and don't remember exactly how it works, but I do remember that it does work.

No comments:

Post a Comment