I read a web site by Dr. Mercola who is an alternative medicine website. He has some guest authors or experts that come on his site. One of the writers that I noticed was Ori Hofmekler and I really liked what he said about insulin. I read a couple of books by him and he had some great information. Basically he believes that we have to eat like out ancestors which he believes walked around all day gathering and hunting and then at night would eat it all at once, so his idea is to not to eat during the day and to eat everything you want at night, or 20 hours of fasting and 4 hours of eating. I liked some of the things that he said but I just couldn't bring myself to say that I'm following the "Warrior Diet" that's just too stupid sounding. He also talks about a training regimen called "Anti Fatigue Training" that didn't sound like much fun.
After that I found a site called "Mark's Daily Apple" which talks about "Primal Living" with a "Primal Diet." This is site is by a guy called Mark Sisson who used to be a marathoner and then got injured around the time that triathlons started getting popular and he started competing in those and took 3rd in the Iron Man in Hawaii. Mark says that we over train and that was a problem that he had when he was an endurance athlete. He says that our ancestors would generally walk around all day lots of movement but only occasional bursts of activity or trying to lift something heavy like the animal you just killed. But basically we didn't try running around every day day in and day out. However, he really likes the barefoot movement. I started doing what Mark said when I was able to start exercising after my hernia surgery. I'd do the turbulence training and then on the off days I'd exercise pretty easy, then on Saturday I'd ride the exercise cycle at a fast, for me, cadence of 80 bpm. The first time I tried it I was able to do the ride, and I was able to do it. That surprised me because I've been able to do it before but only a few times. Anyway it seemed to be working. Then I got sick and stopped exercising, then my BG got high and I started exercising again, but only lightly like Mark says and my BG fell. Pretty amazing.
One last funny thing, or it's something that I thinks funny. Mark Sisson like going barefoot. I'd actually heard that going barefoot was a good thing because it helped to keep from getting things like plantar fasciitis and I've been exercising barefoot since then. So I start looking into it and the things that I find are fascinating. Turns out that around the same time that we started being told to stop eating fat we were also told to start aerobic exercising. That started a craze for running as an aerobic exercise. Shoe companies started producing running shoes that padded the heel so people started running slow with heel strikes. I've felt the shoes that feel like your feet are in pillows. They feel great, but the people that talk about barefoot running say these shoes keep our feet encased like a cast and are feet are not allowed to move the way they're designed to. And they say that heel striking cause more stress on the knees and what not. That got me a little excited because of me having the knee problem when I run. The thinking is that when you run barefoot you will run with a ball of the foot strike that reduces the stress on your knees. Here's the interesting thing that the barefoot running people say, that the human body is designed to do endurance running. I've heard this before as well, humans can't outrun hardly any animals but they can outlast almost all of them. For example we can breathe through our nose
Hi Daddy! I really liked reading your post (Mark too). So, when you exercise barefoot, do you have those barefoot feet shoes? Or do you just go totally barefoot? Do your feet get cold? My ballet teacher told me a long time ago how bad shoes are for your body, it messes with your posture and balance and gives lower back pain and stuff like that. Crazy crazy! :-) I love you daddy! *muah!*
ReplyDeletewow, it makes a crazy difference running barefoot...I wonder what my neighbors think about my experimenting
ReplyDeleteHey Sweetie Teedie (and Mark) I'm glad your read my bolg. I exercise in themal socks two pairs. I guess that's not true barefoot but it keeps my feet warm.
ReplyDeleteKiki did you really run barefoot?