Daughters are Great

Friday, January 6, 2012

A New Son (in-law AS) and other Stories

My last blog told of the incredible events involving the wedding of my daughter Chantel to Brian and the whirl wind of events surrounding the events.  There were some other stories that need to be told, as well as a need to introduce Brian. Heh heh.

Brian and Goose got endowed on November 3rd.  Why do I remember that date? when I don't usually remember dates?  Because we were looking forward to the weekend when Goose and Brian were getting endowed, which should have been the big event, when little Corry Nichols arrived the day before and the endowment suddenly became the second story.  Kind of like when C. S. Lewis died on the same day Pres. Kennedy got assassinated.  I know about those two events but only because the one story is so much greater than the other. 

Brain asked me to be his escort which was an honor.  Although I've never escorted a child through the temple I've been asked to escort my brother and Jeff Hargett, who was my home teaching partner from when he became a teacher to when he was set apart as an Elder.  I'm only saying this because I know what I'm saying when I say that this felt different than other times.  I guess it felt a little like taking a son through, but I don't have any experience with that.

OK now for the stories, not that I'm bitter.  Why did I call Brian "AS"?  It stands for Affection Stealer.  Now I don't blame Brian for stealing Chantel's affection, after all she's married to him, however, should he be allowed to steal the affection of grand kids?  We were at Kiora's house and Brian was sitting with Chantel on his lap and that's understandable, but then Chio when over and sat on his lap as well, and then Alex went over and climbed on to him.  All this while I had a perfectly good lap that could have been utilized.  Not that I'm jealous.

So during the trip to Dallas and back home (and at Thanksgiving) Chio got pretty well acquainted with Brian (see above), and the first thing she asks when she walks in our house is; "Where's Brian?"  What!  So then I got to explain to a 4 year old what a honeymoon was.  That took about 10 minutes with multiple times of Chio checking with her mother to see if grandpa was telling the truth.  Then about 15 minutes after we got that all settled a little while later Chantel and Brian came walking!  They had to find something that Chantel had forgotten, but there went grandpa's credibility. 

However, the real point is for everyone to see how Brian has stolen Chio's affection as well.  I hope I've made my point.  Not that I'm bitter.

Chio had a couple of other funny statements.  I mentioned that Teandra, mostly but she was helped by her sisters, made and decorated some incredible cookies for the wedding.  I, of course, didn't get to eat any of them, but they looked beautiful.  Apparently everyone had been telling Chio and Alex not to bother the cookies or to eat any of them.  At the wedding they were allowed to eat the cookies, so Chio was caught carrying around a handful of cookies, as many as she could carry and her Mom, I think, made her put a few back.  The next day Kiora and Karen went shopping early and left Ryan with me.  A little while later Teandra came out laughing and told me that Chio had came in while she was getting up and Teandra asked her where her Mom was, but Chio said that she didn't know where her Mom and Grandma had gone.  Teandra then asked if she knew if they'd taken Ryan with her and she said that she didn't know if they'd taken Ryan but that they had left the cookies!  Well at least she has her priorities straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment