I've wondered about this pretty much my whole life. While I don't doubt my testimony and I've felt that it was a marvelously great blessing to be born into a family where the gospel was taught, I've always wondered if I would have joined the Church if I hadn't been born into it.
Recently as I was reading the Book of Mormon one day I was thinking about how I seem to always believe in things that are a little on the edge. Tell me about the Electrical Universe and let me do a little reading about it and I become convinced that the Sun is not a nuclear furnace but a ball of plasma that is part of a great web of electrical energy that drives the cosmos. Tell me about eating low carb to control diabetes and I'll read tens of books about it and start doing it no matter what people tell me about how it's impossible to stay on the diet or is bad for me. Same with colloidal silver (silver water). As I was thinking about this it occurred to me that if I hadn't been born in the Church and someone gave me a Book of Mormon to read and some tracts, what would I do with them? Of course I'd have read them, I read everything someone gives me, and then the Spirit would have had a chance to work on me. Of course this would have depended on someone wanting to give me a Book of Mormon which might not have happened, but I'm sure now that I would have read the book.
It's funny the thoughts that you have answered while you read the Book of Mormon. I'm not sure that I've ever formally prayed about would I have joined the Church, but it's been in the back of my mind for ages and now it's not.
I love you daddy! Your testimony has always been a huge strength and foundation for my testimony. And, I love how you read about everything. I think I get it from you! :-D
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you and Mark got home safely. Your testimony and strength have always been a strength to me as well.
ReplyDelete